(Re)Making Slaughter of the Innocents, Ballad in a Popular Style, Lament for the Death of a Bullfighter, and Kaddish
Hunter College, NYC
Sokolow Theatre/Dance Ensemble and Paul Dennis, Chair of Hunter College Dance, invite you to join us for a very special evening of Anna Sokolow’s impassioned solos.
Come experience four of Anna Sokolow’s early solos—with world premieres of two re-made versions—created by an artist for whom change and evolution came naturally and whose works changed over time as the moment demanded and her dancers required. Sokolow Theater/Dance Ensemble is committed to this artistic practice of continual renewal.
- Premiering the newly reimagined “Slaughter of the Innocents” and “Ballad in A Popular Style” to recently rediscovered original scores by composer Alex North.
- Guest artists Paul Dennis (Hunter College) and Erica Dankmeyer (Williams College) will perform variations on “Kaddish.”
- “Lament for the Death of a Bullfighter” performed live and by Anna Sokolow on film.
- Performers: Ilana Ruth Cohen, Erin Gottwald, Margherita Tisato of the Sokolow Theatre/Dance Ensemble.
- Costumes designed by Epperson.
Danceaturgy discussion and audience Q&A will follow the program, with Neil Baldwin, author of Martha Graham: When Dance Became Modern (Alfred A. Knopf, 2022), www.neilbaldwinbooks.com, and ST/DE artistic director Samantha Geracht.
Anna Sokolow’s Poetics
May 31 and June 1, 2023 @ 7 PM
Both performances are full, please RSVP to be placed on the wait list
Hunter College Dance Studio Theater
Thomas Hunter Hall
Lexington Ave. between 68th and 69th St, 6th Floor
New York City
Free event: RSVP required