2018: A year to celebrate
January Transition to a new Artistic Director: Samantha Geracht started her career under the tutelage of Anna Sokolow and continues to rediscover her pioneering work, inspiring a new generation of dancers and audience
March Actors Fund Studio: Sold out performances as the company moved to Brooklyn’s locus for new dance
May Modern Rebels: The Tank produced Sokolow Theatre Dance Ensemble’s curated event for two crazy over-subscribed shows
September Philly Fringe and DUMBO Dance Festival
October Outdoor success at Park(ing) day: The Unanswered Question on 100th Street and Broadway
November New York City Department of Education celebrated Sokolow’s legacy with a professional development workshop for 300 public school dance teachers
Concerts: Dancing Beyond Grief and Awakening Rhythms
December Student training at SUNY Purchase Dance Department, culminating with 5 performances of Dreams
All year Sokolow workshops and continuing classes push dancers from 5 to 65 to make the world a better place through dance
2019: So much more Sokolow
- We return to the Actors Fund Studio with guest choreographer Robert Cleary. The program will highlight a Sokolow work not seen since 1973—reimagined with assistance from the Juilliard’s archivists, along with Steps of Silence, Jim May’s Sleeping Bouquet and Sokolow’s September Sonnet.
- Modern Rebels Volume II at The Tank
- Library of Congress New Dance Group Celebration
- Ongoing classes in NYC and with BFA students at universities across the continent
- An invitation from the Library of Congress to house the Sokolow Archives for dance historians and students to access the creativity of Anna Sokolow for decades to come
Your support buying tickets, underwriting our performances and helping now with our year-end appeal will make our 2019 ambitions possible. We operate on a bare-bones budget, making all donations extremely valuable to all of our dedicated dancers.
$100 pays the rent for 4 hours of studio time for rehearsal
$150 purchases a dancer’s costume
$250 supports a dancer to teach a school workshop
$350 contracts a videographer to film the works for the archives
$500 allows us to license music rights for one dance
$1000 brings a guest artist to Brooklyn
$5000 underwrites the revival of an unseen Sokolow work
Help us reach our goal of $6,000 by March 20 on Kickstarter. The funds we raise will go towards our Spring 2019 season.
The safer, easier way to pay online.
Please make your check out to :
Sokolow Theatre Dance Ensemble
and mail it to:
Sokolow Theatre Dance Ensemble
Old Chelsea Station
PO Box 351
New York, NY 10113
When you shop at AmazonSmile, Amazon will donate to Sokolow Theatre Dance Ensemble. Support us every time you shop.
All donations are tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law. If you donate with your credit card, your credit card receipt will serve as your tax record. If you donate with a check you will receive an acknowledgement letter for tax purposes.
Thank you for your support!
Photo: Steven Pisano Photography